Twelve Silver Plates from the House of Thurn and Taxis
The present set of twelve silver plates stems from the House of Thurn and Taxis. The plates are five-arched and have a wide, profiled border. The rand is without decoration, except for the coat of arms of Prince Alexander Ferdinand of Thurn and Taxis (1704-1772). Inventory numbers and weight details are engraved on the reverse. The city’s hallmark and maker’s mark can be found on the back of the plates.
Prince Alexander Ferdinand of Thurn and Taxis succeeded his father Prince Anselm Franz. He had to fulfil important duties of representation in the Frankfurt Palace, since Emperor Charles VII entrusted him in 1743 with the dignity of the principal commissioner on the everlasting Imperial Diet (Reichstag in German). He lived a splendid life in style. His high demands in art served him to the development of the courtly splendour, to which the prince was much more determined than his predecessors. He acquired outstanding art objects and tableware by goldsmiths in Augsburg. Prince Alexander Ferdinand transferred his court to Regensburg not until 1748.
Johann Conrad Lotter was born in 1704. Worked as a silver worker and was son of George III. Lotter. He became master in 1738. In 1745 he married his Maria Catharina Weid (daughter of a silverturner). Johann Conrad Lotter died in 1779.
Provenance: Collection Thurn und Taxis
Helmut Seling: Die Augsburger Gold- und Silberschmiede 1529 – 1868. Meister Marken Werke, München 2007.
Siebmacher’s großes Wappenbuch. Neustadt an der Aisch 1972.
Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie